King Arthur | Directors Cut

1 comments
This is another of those epic historical movies that the critics hated, but ended up being a rather entertaining and somewhat educational experience.

Now I grew up with the standard fairy tale of King Arthur, but really thought nothing of it, or bothered to challenge the truth of it.

What I do know, is the movie tells a totally different story, one written by the capable David Franzoni, and apparently based on new archaeological findings.

I kind of like the new take of the tale – it sits more comfortably with what my more mature (some would say cynical) mind can believe of the era. And the good thing is, it paints King Arthur in a good light.

The basic story goes that Arthur is the son of a Roman dad and a British mum, and he and his knights fought for Rome for a mandatory 15 years before becoming free men. But when that time comes, they find they’ve been double-crossed by the church and have one more mission to perform.

Along the way we see the corruption of the (Roman) church along with the true face of Christianity, some tender scenes, a love interest and some awesome fighting scenes.

I know, I shouldn’t really saw awesome fighting scenes, I mean what is awesome about people knocking other peoples heads off! But the battle scenes are well done, as is the alternative look at this legend.

All in all a great night in for the boys!

Comments

1 comments to "King Arthur | Directors Cut"

Geekery said...
8:07 AM

Ok, I admit, Clive Owen was a little like a cardboard cutout, but thats not what most people were watching the movie for.....

As for Keira, she was so so, but had great make up and costumes...... ;-)

But the main thing was the battles, and for me, the best actor was Ray Winstone.