Secret Window

3 comments
Ok, first up: I’m about to spoil the plot of this movie, so if you haven’t rented it and are planning on renting, then go away!

I picked up Secret Window as an ex-rental from my local Video Ezy store, and it’s been sitting on my DVD shelf for a while as my wife doesn’t like freaky supernatural movies.

But we decided last night to give it a go, there was as usual nothing on TV, so what could be better than a Johnny Depp movie?

I enjoyed the movie, right up to the point where you discover that the shady Shooter character is actually Depp’s other personality. I hate movies and books that use this technique – I always feel cheated.

What saved the movie, for me anyway, was the ending. Well, the physical ending was a bit corny, but the fact that he gets away with murder instead of the usual Hollywood happy ending was awesome.

It was interesting also that none of the characters really felt like victims when they were killed – sure the first ones did, but that was back when you thought Shooter had killed them. Depp was always the character you cared about, even if you didn’t love him at the end, you were happy that he had ‘won’.

Another interesting thing about this movie was the way it was promoted: As a freaky supernatural thriller. But as it turned out it wasn’t in the slightest supernatural. Instead it was all about a disturbed individual, kinda like the way Cold Creek Manor turned out.

Comments

3 comments to "Secret Window"

Violet said...
5:27 PM

I read the Stephen King story years ago. I may be completely mis-remembering it but I was sure that the twist didn't involve Depp's character turning into a murderer. In my memory of the story, it was all about his long-hidden guilt about stealing a young student-writer's story.

Geekery said...
8:31 AM

According to moviemistakes.com, the movie and book are quite different:

In the book "Secret Window, Secret Garden" the ending is completely different. Mort Rainey dies, without killing Ted and Amy. They live and get married. Also they believed, at the end, that Shooter was a real person. Totally different from the movie. Everything else was almost word for word.

It's interesting why movie makers think they need to change things to make good movies....

Anonymous said...
1:36 PM

I enjoyed the movie up to that point as well....

Feeling cheated? I get that feeling ALOT in Hollywood...

CrzyDJM