DVD | Warm Springs

2 comments
Rating: PG - Contains Low Level Offensive Language.
Duration: 120 mins
Genre : Political Drama. Biography
Actors: David Paymer, Tim Blake Nelson, Kenneth Branagh, Andrew Davoli, Cynthia Nixon, Matt Malloy.
Release Date: Available now.

Warm Springs is a dramatisation of a period of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s life. It’s a lesser-known period of his life, and makes for an interesting story, but I think it needs to be stressed that this is all it is. I was lead to believe (through the promotional material) that this was going to be the story of his life, his whole life. It isn’t.

Fortunately it is a compelling drama. It essentially starts as Roosevelt is getting into politics, and being groomed for the big league, but then disaster strikes and Polio reduces Roosevelt to a cripple who can’t walk. He seeks solace in solitude and the bottle, but one day, when a glimmer of hope is offered he slowly comes out of his shell.

It’s not an easy battle, as Roosevelt has to deal with his own prejudices as well as those of the people around him.

It’s not all about Roosevelt either. His wife turned out to be a powerful influence in his life, and stood by him unwaveringly throughout it all.

Created by HBO, this could be classified as ‘made for TV’, but any one who’s seen much of HBO’s work will know that they strive for quality is both story and production. Warm Springs is an interesting look at a defining time in Roosevelt’s life. It’s full of struggle, compassion and determination. It has plenty of emotion and even a few laughs.

The pace of the flim may not be much, but this is a drama rather than an action flick, so this is one for a quite, contemplative night in.


Food for thought
Warm Springs deals with prejudices and physical impairment. What would be your reaction if you had paid to have a nice relaxing time at the local hot pools, only to find out that it was also being used as a treatment centre for ‘cripples’?

Comments

2 comments to "DVD | Warm Springs"

sewfunky said...
2:38 PM

I would like to think that I wouldn't judge others just because they were disabled. Unfortunately, I know myself better. :( I think I am shocked and scared by things I don't know anything about, and physical disability is so "in your face". I know that it is not the person's fault, but I still struggle with prejudice.

I honestly would like to overcome this part of myself, because people with disabilities are just like myself - my disabilities are unseen that's all. Also, a person is a person is a person. We all have good/bad parts to ourselves, and we need to be open to recieving each other.

I think another thing at issue with "Warm Springs" is the fact that the people had polio, which not a lot was known about at the time. So there was a fear of "catching" the disability.

sewfunky said...
2:38 PM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.