Gmail

2 comments
Ok, I know what you’re thinking: This is supposed to be DVD reviews. Well check the small print ‘pop culture’.

I am allowed to rant about anything so long as it have some relevance to popular culture, right?

Anyway, I got an invite from Google this morning to sign up for Gmail. I’m guessing so did about a billion other people, as I’m sure I’m not geek-enough to be anything but on the general release-you-signed-up-for-news-list.

But any way, Google is the IT company of the moment – The best search engine, most interesting news page, Blogger, and now Webmail.

So I’m guessing a lot of people are interested about Gmail, right?

But did anyone have teething problems with their browser not supporting Gmail.

I’m a Mac fan through and through – don’t like using PC’s. In fact I hate using PC’s. So imagine my annoyance when Gmail won’t work on my version of Safari. Sure it works on the LATEST version of Safari, but that will only work on the LATEST Mac OS. And for that Apple want US$129.95 of my money. No way.

Why is it corporations think they have the right to bully your money out of you?

Any way, so I decide to try in Explorer. No joy there either. Gmail does not support Explorer on the Mac, but wait it does support Firefox.

Cool.

So, seeing as I’m currently running Explorer, I download Firefox. eightppointsomething megabytes. No problem, I have Jet Stream at work, so it down loads in a matter of minuets.

But wait, that’s not right, that’s a text file. Thanks Microsoft, you downloaded the file WRONGLY! I guess Bill Gates doesn’t want to help Explorer users to change.

So back to Safari, my preferred browser. A couple of minuets later, Firefox is not only downloaded but ready to go (thanks Apple).

So now I’m moving all my links to Firefox and leaving Safari behind.

Go the little guy!

Comments

2 comments to "Gmail"

Geekery said...
10:36 AM

You'll find my review of Noi here.

I did make reference to it being slow "The movie moves along at its own pace, twisting and turning slowly as if on an icy road" but I found myself stragley tranfixed to it. Maybe it's because I empaphise with him - I have difficulty fitting in.

And as for trying to find positive things, thats me, Mr. Eternal Sunshine. I think there's enough people being negative when it comes to movies ;-)

Now for this weekend, it depends on what you want.

I mean, Station Agent was a delightful movie - but it's not gonna keep you on the edge of your seat!

If you want to educate yourself, try Supersize Me. I'd reccomend The Corporation and Control Room, but I don't think they're out yet.

If you want to see a classic, try finding Papillon - I bought this from Whitcoulls a couple of weeks back for $9.95 - what a bargan, and a great story.

Other than that - I'm not sure, I've banned myself from going to the local Video Ezy store as I keep buying ex-rentals - and I don't need to buy any more DVS - I'm addicted I tell you!

So, basically, I'm no help to ya.

Oh, if your local store has it Joint Security Area is an inetersting Korean flick, with some action in it - but mostley human drama with a great ending.

Have a happy weekend!!

Geekery said...
8:13 AM

Ok - The Eye wasn't as scary as I had thought it was going to be - but my wife still had to close her eyes and grab my arm from time to time ;-)

Zaitoichi looks like an interesting Japanese Samarui movie - though they do seem to follow a distinct formula - a little long and unintentionally funny at times!