DVD | Saw

2 comments

I’ve been excited about Saw ever since seeing the teaser trailer with the lady and the contraption on her head. Sadly I couldn’t get to see it at the movies, but as the saying goes; good things come to he who waits.

I picked up an ex-rental copy of Saw from my local Video Ezy for only $12.50 this week and the timing was perfect, with my wife at a ladies weekend, I was able to watch it last night.

I can’t say too much about the story line, as I don’t want to risk ruining it for any one who is still waiting to see it, but let me say that the journey wasn’t how I had expected it. But man, what a ride it was. I was glued to the TV for the full length of the movie – no popcorn or coke required!

Visually spectacular, Saw keeps the heart rate going through plenty of gore – not just gore for gores sake, but twisted gore. Situations that any sane mind just couldn’t come up with – but that’s the point of the movie, serial killers are seldom sane of mind!

And the twists and turns are great, you never quite know what’s going to happen next, and you never see the end coming – definitely not a Hollywood ending!

The acting? You wanna know about the acting? Well to be honest no matter how excited I was about this movie, the cast left me with doubts. Danny Glover never excites me and Mr Princess Bride himself Cary Elwes, well he was great in The Princess Bride, but in a gritty, dark as hell, serial killer movie?

Well blow me down with a feather if Cary didn’t give the performance of his career – who knew he had it in him? And Danny – he was damn fine as well. It just goes to show that you don’t need the latest hot actor to make a great movie.

If you liked Seven, then Saw is for you. If you cried for weeks when Bambi died, better steer clear.

Comments

2 comments to "DVD | Saw"

Violet said...
5:06 PM

I liked Seven but was horribly disturbed by the part where a guy had to poke a big sharp object into a woman's private bits. Although the other murders didn't bother me as much. So does Saw have disturbing sexual violence in it, or other kinds of gore?

Geekery said...
7:00 AM

Nope, no weird sexual stuff, just your standard common R-18 rated sadistic violence :-)