X-Box | Doom 3

0 comments
Ok, so this is where I admit I’m not a hardcore gamer. Sure I’d love to spend more time playing games, but I have a job, way too many DVDs to watch and more importantly a lovely wife and three beautiful daughters to spend time with. You can probably judge from this that I’m probably not that good at games either. Hell, whilst I’m being honest I’ll admit to only ever fully completing 2 games – V8 Supercars 2 and Brothers In Arms (easy setting!).

So what’s a useless some-time gamer like me doing with a copy of Doom 3? Well I saw it in a bargain bin. And it was the special edition metal case version. And to be honest once again, it was the cool metal case that made me buy it. Sure I had wanted to play the game ever since seeing the screen shots and reading about it, but I’m crap at FPS, and I tend to go for the more ‘realistic’ ones like Rainbow 6 or Brothers In Arms. I don’t really see the need of playing a game where alien scum are hell bent on killing me. I also like the fact with the aforementioned games you get other men to send ahead of you. Obviously I’m a wimp.

So anyway, there I am Saturday night (well, technically it was Sunday morning), kids have been asleep for hours and the wife has just taken The Da Vinci Code to bed, so I fire up the X-Box, grab the headphones and turn off the lights. I decide to go for the standard skill setting – not going to try and be a hero, or take it to easy. The first thing I notic is how damn good the graphics are. Then there’s the way you walk, with a little bit of a head bob/body sway. None of the standard FPS gliding here. And the sound, my footsteps echoed down the metal hall, whilst various announcements blared at me from various speakers and the static hum of machinery buzzed around me. This was a game that took emersion seriously – I was hooked, hell, I was THERE. I was in the game and the game hadn’t even really started.

First I had to get my orders and then get armed. My first mission was to locate an AWOL scientist on one of the lower levels. I met various people on the way, and was temped to test out my sidearm on most of them, but figured I might need the bullets later. It was a freaky enough trip getting down there – not being quite sure if there were any monsters waiting for me. There wasn’t

I found the missing scientist and he wasn’t too pleased to see me – through again of testing my gun, but held on to self-control. I should have popped one in his head as it turns out. Suddenly all this freaky light and sounds start happening around us, and then as soon as it’s died down. The scientist comes at me with a rather unsettling I-want-to-kill-you look in his eyes. I’m not too sure if I’m allowed to kill him (I obviously don’t have killer instincts) but when he starts laying into me I decide to put a couple of rounds into him, and then a few more.

I’ve got new orders now – orders are being screamed over the intercom to re-group. There’s also a whole lot of screaming and dying going on over the airwaves. I’m not looking forward to the journey ahead of me.

I start off down a familiar poorly lit corridor, gun in had, freaking-my-ass and wondering what’s ahead of me when some one - make that something – starts shooting at me – no problem, I’ll shoot back. To cut a long story short, I never made it back to the top. I dispatched all manner of ‘men’ and monsters and picked up a few spare weapons along the way, but I wasn’t quite up to the task. And when I died, instead of having another go as I normally would with any other game, I ripped the headphones off and turned the light on.

I was emotionally exhausted and physically drained. I’d been fully emersed in the game for about 20-30 minuets – a short game session even by my standards, but I’d had enough excitement for one night. I will be having another go next weekend, no doubt about it. And I will get to the end of the level. I will.

But if it’s not the freakiest most enjoyable ‘realistic’ game I’ve played, I don’t know what is. Sure GTA SA is a heap of fun, but it’s a cartoon compared to Doom 3, and Brothers In Arms is a realistic journey, but Doom 3 was full on, no rest, relentless action fest that left me breathless.

But it’s not perfect. No game ever will be. It suffers like all FPS from the very linear play. You HAVE to go here to get THIS to go THERE. Sure there’s plenty to find and places to go that you don’t have to – but game play is VERY scripted. But this wasn’t a biggie for the short period that I was playing, and like I said, I’ll be back with vengeance next weekend to give it another go.

Comments

0 comments to "X-Box | Doom 3"