DVD | Empire of the Sun

2 comments

There’s been a few good movies from my childhood being released onto DVD of recent years and it’s funny how the movies seem so different to how you remember them. Empire of the Sun is one such movie.
I liked it as a kid, though I wouldn’t have raved about it, but now as an adult I think it’s an amazing film.
Unlike most war movies, Empire of the Sun isn’t about the fighting so much, it’s more about the civilian population and how war effects them. More specifically it’s about a little boy and the loss of his innocence. Stranded after loosing his parents in the mad rush as Japan attacks the Western sector of China, this well-to-do English boy has to fend for him self, he soon hooks up with a couple of maverick American merchant sailors who help him out for a while and then he finds himself in and interment camp.
It’s in no way a feel good movie, though it does have the predictable happy ending, but it is based of the experiences of a English boy lost in Japanese controlled China. It’s an important movie because rather than taking sides, it shows a side of warfare that is often overlooked: The devastating effect it has on the civilian population.

Comments

2 comments to "DVD | Empire of the Sun"

Violet said...
7:52 PM

I really like Empire of the Sun too.

An example of a movie I loved as a kid, but not as an adult (or at least, at a second viewing), was that one about the rabbits, Watership Down

Geekery said...
7:38 AM

I didn't like Watership Down when I saw it as a kid, so no second viewings for me.