DVD | Lost S1

2 comments

I only watched 3 episodes of Lost when it came on TV. I couldn’t really get into it that much, and I’d discovered that it was going to be a whopping 25 episodes long. I just couldn’t see my self committing to watching that many weeks of TV.
But when the Season 1 DVD came out I figured it would be worth a go. What I didn’t know is that it would take me less than a week to watch all 25 episodes! I don’t know why, but the story just grabbed me and I had to find out what was going to happen next.
For the most part Lost was perfectly paced, with enough mystery and intrigued to keep me hooked. And that’s the beauty of TV on DVD. If I’d had to wade through the advert breaks and wait a whole week for the next episode, I’d have given up, but watching it at my (some what maniacal) own pace, with no interruptions from global corporations trying to take my money made for a riveting and enjoyable series.
So what makes a group of people, survivors from a plane crash, stranded on an island that doesn’t exist, so damn interesting? Well, putting aside the twisting storyline and mysterious properties of that Island there were two factors that really grabbed me.
Firstly there was the way the Lost kept giving you flash backs into the survivors previous life. It was more the way these flashbacks were orchestrated. You’d be given just a taste of what they were like, and it was designed to make you think of them in a certain light. But as you got to know them, more flash backs showed that they were actually quite different. It gave strength to the old adage: Never judge a book by it’s cover. It’s quite interesting to see how quickly we jump to conclusions rather than waiting to see if there’s more than meets the eye.
Secondly, it was like these survivors were being given a second chance. No matter what they had done in there previous life, now they were on an island with 40 other strangers, their slate was wiped clean. They were given the opportunity top become something better, to tackle and overcome any issues that may have been dogging them before. It was almost as if God had granted them clemency, albeit trapped on an island they may never get off.
So if you’ve never seen Lost, or like me, just couldn’t be bothered with it on TV, give the DVD a go. Trust me, you’ll love it as much as I did!

Comments

2 comments to "DVD | Lost S1"

Violet said...
9:46 PM

I was a little cynical at first (I mean - a plane flying out of Sydney crashes and most of the survivors are Americans?), but got to love the show too.

Geekery said...
12:04 PM

Hehe, yeah and not a Kiwi in sight!