Top 10 DVDs of 2005

1 comments
I got the Idea to do a top ten from joblo. I figured it would be easy to pick 10 DVDs, but turned out harder that I expected. Constantine in my mind seemed like a no brainer, but in the end missed the cut. Go figure.

10. In My Fathers Den
No I’m not being patriotic, this was a damn fine movie, and being a kiwi made and funded movie is just the icing on the cake.

9. Carnivale
Thanks to HBO there’s a lot more imaginative programmes coming on TV, and then getting released onto DVD. Carnival, whilst being one of the weirder TV shows was also compelling and original.

8. The Notebook
I’m not a big fan of romantic movies, but this one hit the spot.

7. Million Dollar Baby
What could have turned out to be a very boring movie, kept everyone hooked with an unpredictable punch below the belt that turned an average boxing movie on its head.

6. Hotel Rwanda

An amazing performance by Don Cheadle that documents a moment in time when the might of the West dropped the ball, and ignored humanities pleas.

5. The Village
M. Night Shyamalan is the king of modern suspense movies, and whilst many thought he may have lost his touch, he proved his worth once again with The Village.

4. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
How much more original, lovable and funny can you get?

3. A Very Long Engagement
Who knew a French movie would make it onto the list? But I’ve never seen a movie that blended realistic war scenes with romance, numerous plot lines and some twisted revenge, and an ending that whilst was predictable wasn’t to ‘Hollywood’.

2. Collateral
Micheal Mann is the man! And he even manages to give Tom Cruse a character that is almost believable! Lets hope he doesn’t stuff up Miami Vice this year!

1. The Woodsman
A movie about child molestation makes it to the number one spot? Before y’all rush out to lynch me, Kevin Bacon delivers an un-missable performance of a broken man trying to discover how to be normal.

Comments

1 comments to "Top 10 DVDs of 2005"

Violet said...
11:41 AM

I liked numbers 10., 9., 5. and 4. too. But nothing would make me watch Notebook 'cos it's a squishy romance. And The Woodsman, though it sounds very good, also sounds too dark for my tastes.