The Power of Words and Images.

2 comments
Would anyone take me seriously if I said Mohammad was a homosexual terrorist intent on destroying all Buffy fans?

Well, I hope not. But a fellow blogger commented on how the hits to his blog soared when homosexuality was mentioned, and this combined with the whole Danish anti Muslim cartoon fiasco (which has spawned a Jewish Anti-Semitic Cartoon Contest) got me thinking about how much power we willingly give to the media.

The Danish cartoons would have gone relatively unnoticed if Muslims hadn’t kicked up a stink about them, but now they’re being republished around the world, and talked about on prime time tv and radio.

I personally haven’t seen them, but I doubt it would take too much work to find them online. But my point is why do we give the media so much power. If we let insults to our beliefs go by quietly, then they would disappear. This applies to everyone, not just Muslims.

Years ago, Christians protested against the movie The Life Of Brian. I haven’t seen it, but knowing Monty Python, it would be a hoot. But why protest? You only give the movie more power. Why not either just ignore it, or appreciate it for what it is: humour.

If we all laughed a little more and protested less, the world would be a better (and safer) place.

Comments

2 comments to "The Power of Words and Images."

Violet said...
2:36 PM

You really must see Life of Brian.

Geekery said...
8:59 AM

It's on my list of things to do before I'm 40.....